Potato Salad (Japanese)
Potato salad (Japanese)
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 thumb size ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 English cucumber (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or Japanese Kewpie Mayo)
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Boil potatoes and carrots until tender but still a little firm.
- In a bowl, pour a little salt and sugar over the cucumbers (about 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp sugar), mix with your fingers and leave to marinate for about 15-20 minutes. Drain and squeeze the excess water from the cucumber, rinse quickly under cold water and squeeze again.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots and ginger.
- With a potato masher, mash about 1/2 of the mixture, add cucumber, mayonnaise, sake, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well with a spoon or spatula.
- Adjust taste and texture (by adding more mayo) to your liking. Serve.
This potato salad can keep in the fridge for about a week.
- Calories: 961
- Saturated Fat: 13