Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe (Japanese)
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Fried rice is such a great vehicle for using leftovers. Just like stir fries, they’re quick, easy to make and taste so good. So many different ingredients can be added to a fried rice recipe but one combination I love is a simple one; chicken fried rice with green peas and carrots. This chicken fried rice recipe is a crazy-simple preparation that takes little time to execute and boy does it taste delicious! This is a Japanese adaptation of chicken fried rice (called tori chahan) using powdered chicken stock to enhance the flavor of the star ingredient. If you know Japanese cooking, you know they love using powdered chicken stock – a lot (and so well!)
Fried rice is historically made with leftover ingredients from previous meals. It is a great way to use up day-old rice (so it doesn’t just sit in the fridge until you throw it out). One of my favorite things in the world is hitting a ramen joint that serves lunch sets. There’s nothing better than slurping a bowl of tonkotsu or hiyashi ramen with a half-order of fried rice on the side. I know… carbs on carbs! But alternating bites of springy noodles in broth with spoonfuls of chicken fried rice satisfies in a way that can’t quite be put in to words. It transports me to Tokyo in the span of a couple bites.
This chicken fried rice recipe is something I make whenever I have leftover rice and roast chicken (you must try this Vietnamese chicken noodle soup if you like roast chicken!), or chicken breasts. I can make this easy chicken fried rice recipe 10 minutes before my husband gets home which makes it so convenient!
You can use different ingredients for this chicken fried rice recipe. Just like any other fried rice, recipes are just suggestions – and it’s fun to get a little creative!
P.S: If you happen to visit NYC, I recommend trying the chicken fried rice at Ise Menkui Tei, with a side of gyoza and a hot bowl of ramen. Delish!
Other Fried Rice Recipes
- Garlic Fried Rice
- Vegetable Fried Rice (Chahan)
- One Pan Szechuan Chicken Fried Rice
- Spicy Garlic Fried Rice
Did you like this Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!
Chicken fried rice
A delicious and easy chicken fried rice recipe that you can make in less than 10 minutes! Do you have picky eaters in your household? No sweat. Almost everyone likes Japanese fried rice!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Side, Main
- Cuisine: Japanese, Rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas (thawed)
- 3 cups cooked Japanese rice
- 1 small carrot (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/4 pound boneless chicken breast (cut into small cubes)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon powdered chicken stock ((or dashi))
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- In a pan over medium heat, add oil, garlic and cook for a minute. Add chopped carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Add rice and peas and mix well. Add powdered chicken stock, stir in well, then add soy sauce, black pepper and salt, and mix well.
- Push the rice to one side and break the eggs on the clear side. Slowly scramble the eggs and incorporate with the rice. Serve.
You can keep any leftovers in the fridge for 3-5 days.
This Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe Is:
High in vitamin A
- Calories: 599
- Sugar: 5.9
- Sodium: 818
- Fat: 21.4
- Saturated Fat: 3.7
- Carbohydrates: 71.1
- Fiber: 4.5
- Protein: 29.3
- Cholesterol: 219
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.