Delicious eggs noodles tossed in a nutty, spicy and sweet sesame sauce. Ready in 15 minutes from start to finish and so much better than delivery!
Chilled Sesame Noodles
It’s hard to beat a good bowl of noodles wouldn’t you agree?
Whenever I’m faced with a menu that has an extensive noodles section, it always take me longer to make a decision. Do I go for pizza or pasta? Do I want a bowl of ramen or chicken katsu? Can I get both? It’s a conundrum.
With Chinese food, I find it even more confusing since I could live solely on their noodle preparations. One of my favorites is the chilled sesame noodles dish. I’ll usually get an order as an appetizer and save some for the following couple of days.
Since I don’t like them too sweet (some sesame noodles are too peanut buttery), I fix them with a little soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and vinegar. This way they taste closer to the real thing just like I did for this sesame noodles recipe.
If you’ve gone to mainland China or Taiwan you will recognize the mix of spicy, nutty, acidic and umami flavors. It’s much more satisfying!
The preparation is very simple; cook the noodles, rinse them under cold water and toss with the sauce. Top with fresh cucumber slices and peanuts. Easy!
You can serve these chilled sesame noodles as an appetizer or a main and they will keep in the fridge for up to 6-7 days.
More easy, better than takeout Chinese recipes:
Did you like this Chilled Sesame Noodles Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share?Print
Chilled Sesame Noodles
Nutty, sweet and a little spicy, these chilled sesame noodles are ready in just 15 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Main, Noodles
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 pound fresh or frozen Chinese egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup English cucumber (peeled, seeded, and sliced into sticks)
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Chinese sesame paste or tahini
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger (peeled and minced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- Cook noodles according to directions on the package (about 5 minutes in boiling water).
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add sesame oil and toss well.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and add to the noodles. Toss until noodles are
- evenly coated.
- Top with cucumber and/or peanuts and serve.