This Szechuan chicken stir fry hits the spot whenever I’m craving heat. The silky chicken pieces and vibrant veggies are a healthy combination that’s packed with flavor. This dish is not for the faint of heart! Ready in 25 minutes from start to finish.
Szechuan Chicken Recipe
I love spicy food.
Pungent, spicy food that makes my face sweat and go yum at the same time? Yep, I love that.
Just looking at this picture makes me wanna grab a pair of chopsticks and dive into a bowl of Szechuan chicken!
Sometimes taking food pics is hard. Just imagine shooting something like this while the smell of fried garlic and ginger, chicken and spicy chili crisp have permeated the walls of your kitchen. Let’s just say it’s not easy to focus on work when your tummy is rumbling non stop.
This is one amazing chicken in Szechuan sauce that has a good amount of heat and lots of savory, umami notes that will make you crave for more!
What is Szechuan Chicken?
Szechuan chicken is a spicy chicken stir fry that hails from China’s Sichuan province. It’s very similar to Hunan chicken in that they are both stir fries, contain vegetables and use the same chicken preparation. The main difference is the amount of heat that’s infused into the dish – Szechuan chicken is less spicy than the Hunan version.
This is not an authentic Szechuan chicken recipe
Because I have a low tolerance for Szechuan peppercorns, I omitted them from the dish and instead used spicy chili crisp. It’s the perfect substitute since it has the same numbing effect but with less intensity.
I’ve also added shiitake mushrooms to raise the level of umami and to also make this meal more nutritious.
Eat this Szechuan spicy chicken with a bowl of steamed white rice to tame the heat. Or with spaghetti if you prefer noodles. Just make sure you have some sort of starch to control the fire that will be shooting from your mouth.
And don’t drink water. Water makes it worse! Coffee on the other hand is supposed to do the trick.
Okay, okay I’m exaggerating.
This Szechuan chicken is spicy for those who can’t handle sriracha sauce. But not that spicy if you think habanero sauce is not a big deal.
Another way to serve this chicken in Szechuan sauce is to use it as a topping for congee (Chinese rice porridge). Ben loved the combination of porridge and spicy chicken bites – he said it transformed the delicate dish into something complex and flavorful.
Leave it to him to find the best ways to recycle leftovers!
You can make this Szechuan chicken recipe ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until meal time. It will keep for up to 4-5 days.
Did you like this Szechuan Chicken Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!
A steamy bowl of white rice and stir fry go hand in hand. Watch our video on How To Make Japanese Rice the stove top or rice cooker method.
These recipes constantly make “best dish” lists on sites such as Country Living, Self, Shape, Bon Appetit, The Cooking Channel, Men’s Fitness and Woman’s Day. They are favorites among my readers, friends and family!
Simple and easy dishes made healthier, with calories and fat content provided. Tried and tested by my readers and loved by everyone!
Szechuan Chicken Recipe
Colorful veggies and chile paste make this Szechuan chicken vibrant and deliciously spicy! And it only takes 25 minutes to make from start to finish!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 people
- Category: Main
- Method: Stir frying
- Cuisine: Chinese
Szechuan chicken ingredients
- 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast or fillets (chopped bite size)
- 1 large egg (whisked)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 thumb size ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (julienned)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (julienned)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (julienned)
- 5 fresh shiitake mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 3 scallions (finely chopped)
Szechuan chicken sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili paste such as sambal oelek, 2 tablespoons for extra spicy
- 1 tablespoon spicy chili crisp (optional)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- In a bowl, combine egg and cornstarch and season with a little salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces and marinade for 5 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce into a bowl and whisk until well blended.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Drop chicken pieces and cook until both sides are golden brown. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp vegetable oil to the pan (still over medium high heat) and add garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute and add onions, green and red bell pepper and shiitake mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan and add sauce. Stir and coat vegetables and chicken for 1 minute and turn the heat off.
- Transfer to a plate or bowl and serve Szechuan chicken with a side of white rice.
This Szechuan Chicken Recipe will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 9.1
- Sodium: 885
- Fat: 10.7
- Saturated Fat: 2.6
- Carbohydrates: 32.6
- Fiber: 5.3
- Protein: 18.3
- Cholesterol: 79
Keywords: recipe, Asian, easy