Stir Fry Beef with Spicy Hoisin Sauce
Hot and spicy food like this bowl of hoisin stir fry beef is something I can eat all day long. I guess you can say I am particular when it comes to the kind of heat I like in my food. For example, I am not keen on Szechuan peppercorns as I don’t like the tongue numbing effect they give and the fact that my drink of water ends up tasting like metallic seltzer.
But give me the incendiary, mouth on fire heat of Thai chilies any day and I will cover my food with them. Thankfully, my husband likes it very spicy too so whenever we order or cook South East Asian food, we go 100% ablaze.
But ordering good Chinese food where we live can be a little expensive and sometimes disappointing. What I mean is paying $50 for four dishes that taste bland; this makes for one sad dinner and a movie night! Because this situation unfortunately happens a lot, I have been cooking more Chinese dishes at home. Call me penny-pinching but when I think of the cost of a simple dish like sesame chicken, I prefer to make it at home for 1/3 of the price rather than be served something that will probably need seasoning. If only every dish could be as well seasoned as this hoisin stir fry beef… Oh man…
This stir fry beef recipe is a favorite of mine because it has everything; sweet, vinegary, spicy and savory. Tender marinated pieces of beef served with peppers and scallion and tossed in a hoisin miso sauce. All that yummy brown sauce drizzled over virgin white rice acting as a sponge and absorbing every last bit of flavor…
Now that’s what I call a great stir fry beef recipe packed with authentic Chinese Flavors!
Most stir fries don’t require the meat to marinate but this stir fry beef recipe takes the art to a new level. Sharp and salty flavors are injected into the meat while a sweet and savory sauce coats its exterior – it’s quite amazing. My version has Thai chiles but you can swap them for your favorite type; jalapeno, dry red chiles or even peppercorns. The choice is yours, make it the way you like it and make sure you make enough beef stir fry for leftovers.
I promise you’ll come back for seconds, in seconds.
These recipes constantly make “best dish” lists on sites such as Country Living, Self, Shape, Bon Appetit, The Cooking Channel, Men’s Fitness and Woman’s Day. They are favorites among my readers, friends and family!
Simple and easy dishes made healthier, with calories and fat content provided. Tried and tested by my readers and loved by everyone!
Stir Fry Beef with Spicy Hoisin Sauce
Make this spicy, authentic Szechuan hoisin stir fry beef recipe in less than 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1/2 pound lean beef (thinly sliced bite size)
- 1 red bell pepper (core and seeded, sliced into thin strips (julienne))
- 4 scallions (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 Thai chilis (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon dark soy
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Put all the ingredient for the marinade in a bowl with the beef. Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a medium size pan over high heat, add oil, garlic and chiles and cook for 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add pepper and scallions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn the heat off, add hoisin sauce and miso paste, stir well until paste has dissolved. Serve stir fry with white rice.
This Stir Fry Beef With Hoisin Sauce:
Very high in iron
High in selenium
Very high in vitamin B6
Very high in vitamin B12
Very high in vitamin C
High in zinc