Potato Celery Soup
Why potato celery soup instead of the classic leek and potato? Because I had a ‘Chopped’ moment at the supermarket. I did originally want to make a leek and potato soup but the supermarket had run out of leeks. Slightly alarmed since I didn’t want to use carrots again (most of my soup recipes contain carrots and I wanted to keep this vegetable soup looking a nice champagne color), I spent a few minutes deep in thoughts as I looked at my options. It was a very bad vegetable day at the supermarket; very few options were available, I’d never seen the store so empty!
Then I thought about an old favorite of mine: Campbell’s cream of celery soup. Most people like cream of mushrooms but I had a penchant for cream of celery. I loved the mild flavor of the soup combined with little pieces of chopped celery that were added for texture. I used to break up a few saltines on top and wait until they’d absorb some of the liquid. Cream of celery was one of my favorite snacks.
Grabbing a bunch of celery, I decided to give it a try. Potato and celery are vegetables with mild flavors that are often used together in other recipes (potato salad). I would do the same as Campbell’s: blend the soup until it’s creamy, using 2% milk and boil some chopped celery separately to add in the end, for texture. I also wanted this potato celery soup to be simple like most of my soup recipes; easy and healthy go to recipes for busy work days.
The result was delicious! This potato celery soup is tasty, light and comforting, and a great vehicle for saltines and other soup crackers.Print
Potato celery soup
Cream of potato and celery soup that is low in fat, using 2% milk instead of cream.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 medium size onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium size potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 6 stalks celery (chopped bite size (reserve 2 chopped stalks in a separate bowl))
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 scallions (thinly chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and add potatoes. Boil the potatoes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over high heat, add olive oil, garlic and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add 4 chopped celery stalks and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, stir and bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low (should still be slightly bubbling) for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in another small pot, bring a little water to boil (about half full) and add the remaining two celery stalks (chopped). Boil on low for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Back to the soup: Turn the heat off, add potatoes to broth and blend until smooth. Add milk and stir well.
- Turn the heat back on low, add boiled chopped celery, season with salt and pepper, and serve topped with a few scallions.
- Calories: 236
- Saturated Fat: 2