A little twist on this classic American soup, I’ve topped it with diced butternut squash sauteed in sriracha sauce, and freshly chopped cilantro. This butternut squash soup has a slight pungency and a smokiness that’s remindful of South East Asian curries. YUM!
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Soup’s on! And this is a pretty delicious one too; a vegan butternut squash soup that’s low in calories and fat, and high in flavor and satisfaction! Who needs butter and other dairy products to add creaminess to this soup when the main ingredient is already silky to begin with! And look at all the health benefits you get from sipping on this vegan butternut squash soup:
- High in dietary fiber
- High in magnesium
- High in potassium
- Very high in vitamin A
The main components of this butternut squash soup are very basic – I’m using butternut squash, extra virgin olive oil, onions, garlic, celery and vegetable broth. What makes this vegan butternut squash soup different is the addition of miso paste, fresh cilantro and little chunks of squash sauteed in sriracha sauce.
These three ingredients add incredible depth of flavor to this otherwise simple soup and transform it into this complex, haute cuisine tasting dish!
Every bite is satisfying – you get sweet, savory, umami, a little heat, and a little pungency. And all that comes packaged in a beautiful and vibrant looking soup that seduces the eyes. This could be the sexiest vegan butternut squash soup you’ve ever met!
More delicious squash recipes:
- Butternut squash and tomato penne
- Eggplant and kabocha squash gratin
- Spaghetti squash alfredo
- Kabocha squash simmered in dashi
- Sweet potato and butternut squash puree
Did you like this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Topped with diced butternut squash sauteed in sriracha sauce along with some freshly chopped cilantro, this vegan butternut squash soup has a slight pungency and smokiness that’s remindful of South East Asian curries.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 people 1x
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 pounds butternut squash (save 2 tablespoons finely chopped butternut squash)
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoon miso paste (I’m using awase miso paste but you can use red or white as well)
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (finely chopped)
- Peel and slice butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scrape off seeds and slice into 1/2-inch squares.
- Grab 4 squares and dice into small pieces. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic, onions and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add butternut squash, vegetable stock and miso paste and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low boiling simmer, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile in a small pan, add remaining olive oil (1 tbsp) and add small diced butternut squash. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until butternut squash is tender, turn off the heat and add sriracha sauce. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Use a hand mixer or blender and blend soup until smooth. Top with diced sriracha butternut squash and freshly chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
This Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Recipe will keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Keywords: recipe, appetizer