An easy silky cream of cauliflower soup that’s delicate, savory and naturally sweet. This delicious recipe won’t weigh you down!
I’ve got a full house this week! A cousin in from Montreal, another cousin visiting from Japan, an always hungry hubby and one needy kitty.
This has been a whirlwind week of shopping, sightseeing, more than a few late night glasses of wine and eating out. After some delicious and indulgent meals I was feeling that maybe a light, home cooked dinner would be a good idea to re-calibrate all of our systems.
I decided to whip up a healthy meal for us all by just using the ingredients that were on-hand at the moment. This light, velvety cream of cauliflower soup was made with very few ingredients because the cupboards were approaching bare status and we were having too much fun to run to the store.
Some of my favorite times in the kitchen are the result Chopped moments – creating tasty meals from whatever ingredients are in the ‘mystery basket.’
This cream of cauliflower soup is healthier than what you might get in a restaurant because I didn’t use a ton of cream to achieve a smooth texture. I let the veggies do the talking!
Celery, onions and garlic create a wonderful, fragrant underlying base for the mild-mannered cauliflower.
After pureeing the cooked veggies with an immersion blender, I added a small five ounce can of evaporated milk for a hint of the dairy smoothness you’d typically get from heavier cream.
Salt, pepper and a tiny bit of nutmeg shaved on top made everything come together for this healthier cream of cauliflower soup. Like cloves and cinnamon, nutmeg’s nutty sweetness can really round out a flavor profile that is predominantly earthy and salty.
Was this healthier cream of cauliflower soup a hit with my houseguests? OMG – yes! The empty soup pot was evidence of that.
My cousin Yoko said, between velvety bites, that it reminded her of a soup that she orders at her favorite French restaurant in Tokyo. It felt great to create a healthier version of an indulgent cream of cauliflower soup, with very few rustic ingredients, and receive a compliment like that!
This home cook was blushing indeed.
Pair this cream of cauliflower soup with other light and easy recipes:
- Spring Swiss Chard Pie with Gruyere
- Warm Broccoli and Chickpea Salad
- Japanese Caprese Salad
- My Favorite Tuna Sandwich Recipe
- Salmon with Orange-Ginger Marinade
Did you like this Silky Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
An easy, velvety and healthier cream of cauliflower soup that tastes amazing and won’t weigh you down!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 large cauliflower (chopped)
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 5 ounces can fat free evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- In a large pot over high heat, add olive oil, butter and garlic. Cook for one minute, until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add onions and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- Add cauliflower and broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until cauliflower is very tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can pour the soup in batches into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot and add evaporated milk. Stir well, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with a pinch of nutmeg.
This Healthier Cream Of Cauliflower Soup will keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 10.4 g
- Sodium: 258 mg
- Fat: 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.7 g
- Fiber: 5.2 g
- Protein: 7.7 g
- Cholesterol: 9.2 mg
Keywords: recipe, soup, gluten-free