Hearty Tuscan Soup Recipe
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Dig in to this Hearty Tuscan Soup! Made with fire roasted tomatoes, this Italian vegetable soup is a little smoky and sweet. And it only takes 10 mins to prep!
One of my favorite things of all time is soup.
I can have soup in the morning, as a snack, for dinner, hot, cold, pureed, chunky, etc.
This week I was craving something with an Italian flair – with lots of colorful veggies. So I made myself a hearty Tuscan soup with carrots, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, pasta and beans.
It was just what I needed – the soup was delicious and comforting!
Soup: the original one pot meal
One pot recipes are about the most convenient and time saving dishes you can make.
They can also be just as delicious and satisfying as something that requires a lot of effort in the kitchen.
This hearty Tuscan soup may only take 10 minutes to prep but looks like an Italian grandma helped me make it! It’s also a great way to use your leftovers since you can stir in anything when you re-heat it for round-two: more veggies, meats – even seafood.
Ingredients for hearty Tuscan soup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Use a bit of the good stuff for this Italian soup. You’ll be using it to sauté the fragrant garlic, onions and thyme.
- Cannellini Beans: Almost nutty in flavor with tender flesh, these white kidney-shaped beans give this Tuscan soup a bit of rustic heft.
- Canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes: What a great invention! I have fallen in LOVE with the charred flavor of these tomatoes. They add character to soups, stews and sauces and look lovely in the process. One 15-ounce can should do the trick.
- Vegetable Broth: I’m using veggie broth to keep this Italian soup vegan. However, chicken broth would work well if you prefer.
- Elbow Macaroni: These curved pasta tubes are the perfect size for soup. Substantive, yet small enough to be spooned up.
- Garlic, Onion and Thyme: This is the fragrant starter for the soup. There’s nothing more evocative of Italian comfort food than the smell of fresh garlic and onions being sautéed in a soup pot!
- Carrot, Zucchini and Spinach: These veggies work well in this soup – both in terms of flavor, and the vibrant colors they impart.
- Parmesan Cheese (optional): I like to shave or grate a small amount of Parmesan into each bowl as a finishing element just before serving. It’s a yummy, savory touch. Obviously, leave it out if you’re making a vegan soup.
How to make hearty tuscan soup
- Start the aromatics. In a large soup pot over high heat, add the olive oil and cook your onions, garlic and thyme for about 4 minutes – until the onions are fragrant and translucent.
- Add your soup ingredients. Add everything else to the pot ECXEPT the macaroni – and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the macaroni. Once you’ve added your pasta, bring the soup back to a boil – and again lower to a simmer, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes (or until the pasta is cooked).
- Serve. Ladle it up and serve hot. Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan on top if you’re using it.
What to serve with this rustic tuscan vegetable soup
A big bowl of it is filling enough to have as a main for dinner, while a small bowl is perfect for a late night snack!
And I would totally be remiss if I didn’t mention serving a small side of this Italian soup with this crispy and lemony chicken piccata.
Soup is a wonderful thing!
Have a look at these other quick and easy soup recipes:
- Cabbage Soup With Kombu Dashi
- Light Spring Minestrone Soup
- Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
- Silky Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Did you like this Hearty Tuscan Soup Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comment section below!
Hearty Tuscan Soup Recipe
Hearty Tuscan Soup – charred tomatoes make this soup a little smoky and sweet. And it only tastes 10 minutes to prep!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 15 ounces cannellini beans (drained)
- 15 ounces can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (roughly chopped)
- 1 zucchini (roughly chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- 1 cup spinach (roughly chopped)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot over high heat, add olive oil, garlic, thyme and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add all other ingredients – except the macaroni – and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add macaroni, bring the soup back up to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot and topped with a little freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Keep leftovers of this hearty tuscan soup refrigerated for 2-3 days.
Keywords: recipe, appetizer, vegetarian, vegan
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.