Refreshing and cleansing is what you will think of when you slurp on this delicious asparagus and lemon egg drop soup. It’s a twist on the classic Chinese egg drop soup – I’ve added citrus and a touch of nutty sesame oil to elevate the flavors. Ready in just 15 minutes!
Asparagus and Lemon Egg Drop Soup
Last week’s schedule was a packed one. With barely any time to cook we ended up ordering on Seamless a lot. Too much. Our fridge was full of plastic containers and Chinese take-out boxes filled with fried rice, stir fries and lo mein noodles. All these carb loaded dishes made me feel heavy and sluggish – two of my least favorite sensations! This gave me the idea to cook up a simple asparagus and lemon egg drop soup to offset those oil-laden dishes with something lighter and healthier.
I’m loving the tart, nutty and salty flavors of this egg drop soup. It’s a tastier, punchier version of the old classic. It’s also very satisfying; the asparagus makes it so the soup is more filling and the freshly chopped scallions add a nice crunch. It can be served with rice noodles as a main or as part of a soup and salad/sandwich combo.
This asparagus and lemon egg drop soup tastes best when served on the day it’s been made to enjoy its gooey consistency. Leaving it in the fridge overnight will break down the enzymes of the cornstarch (what makes the soup gooey) and return it to raw. This basically means the soup will lose its thick consistency and return to its natural watery state.
Other light and easy soups:
Did you like this Asparagus and Lemon Egg Drop Soup Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
Refreshing and cleansing is what you will think of when you take a sip of this delicious asparagus and lemon egg drop soup. It’s the perfect soup for warm and sunny days!
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound asparagus spears, ends trimmed and chopped bite size
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- In a medium size pot, add the chicken stock, asparagus and shallots. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables have softened but still yield a little crunch.
- Stir cornstarch and water and slowly add it to the soup, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the eggs and using a fork or a whisk, stir constantly in a zigzag motion.
- Turn the heat off and add the sesame oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Top with green onions and serve.
Keep this egg drop soup in a storage container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Sodium: 690.2mg
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21.4g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 12.4g
- Cholesterol: 146.7mg
Keywords: Egg drop soup