Cauliflower thyme soup
Soup, soup, soup and more soup! As you can see, I love soup! Having a book full of easy soup recipes is a life saver when you want to eat healthy and cook food that you can reheat later. Using fresh herbs in soups is the easiest way to flavor your pot and give it that wonderful rustic taste. That’s how I came up with this velvety cauliflower thyme soup.
I recently received a bunch of fresh herbs to grow at home (thanks Jojo!) and it’s been a money and time saver.
Buying fresh herbs at the grocery store can end up costing a lot of money, if you shop on a regular basis. Which is why having your own little indoor herb garden can come in handy for home cooks like myself. I thought about using basil first but it can be overwhelming at times and can upstage delicate flavors such a cauliflower. Thyme is also quite strong but pairs more easily as a base for stews and soups. I grabbed a handful of fresh thyme, threw it in my cauliflower soup and it came out tasting lovely! Though I’m not using any milk or cream for this soup, blending it gives it a very creamy and silky texture.
I tend to lean toward soups whenever I feel a little bloated or in need of vitamins and nutrients. I find that making a big pot of soup is much easier and cheaper than making salads. The base of the soup is also pretty much the same every time, all you need to do is alternate between vegetables to keep it interesting. You don’t need to be a professional chef to make creamy and beautiful soups. All you need is a blender or hand blender (I worship my hand blender) and you’ll be making soups 3-4 times a week I promise!
This thyme cauliflower soup is another very healthy recipe that’s vegan, gluten free and ideal for weight loss and dieting.
Cauliflower thyme soup
This is a rustic, sweet and simple cauliflower thyme soup recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (finely chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 medium head cauliflower (trimmed and roughly chopped)
- 2 small carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 8 cups organic vegetable broth
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, onion, thyme and jalapeno. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add celery, carrots and cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and cook for 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Use a blender or hand blender and blend the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- Calories: 92
This recipe is delicious! I Made It for lunch and my husband and son loved it. It was easy to make too. Thanks for sharing your recipes!
I want to include some dairy in this recipe…along with vegetable broth. when would you suggest I add?
You can add about a cup of milk in the end, on very low heat.