Vegetarian Lentil Soup
I love lentils, especially lentil soup! Classic lentil soup made with bacon, veggies and beef broth, Indian dahl soup with hints of cumin, turmeric and a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice.. So delicious! Lentils also complement stews and salads very well, and are a wonderful source of protein and fiber. My vegetarian lentil soup is very simple and easy to recreate; made with vegetable stock, few veggies and herbs, it has a real rustic flair and needs little attention while cooking. It’s also filling so one big bowl can be served as a main dish along with some bread or a small salad.
This soup is low in fat and calories, making it ideal for people with a gluten allergy. It’s also great for those who are on a low cholesterol diet or general diet plan for weight loss.
Lentils are a powerhouse of nutrients yet are extremely low in calories and contain virtually no fat! They can help lower cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar levels, increase energy and reduce the risk of heart disease. Plus, there’s no need to soak them overnight, lentils just need to be rinsed before cooking. Add a pinch of cumin powder to this lentil soup for an earthier, more aromatic broth.
Finish your meal with a healthy dessert option like this fresh fruit yogurt parfait.
Vegetarian lentil soup
Quick, simple and healthy recipe for vegetarian lentil soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 people
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup lentils
- 3 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (roughly chopped (optional))
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Rinse the lentil in cold water and drain.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, onions and bell peppers, and cook for 3 minutes until onions are soft. Add carrots and celery and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and lentils, and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and bay leaves, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Calories: 187
- Saturated Fat: 1