Grilled Summer Squash with Yum Yum Sauce
Last week I bought a light non stick grill pan (since my wrists can barely lift a cast iron pan) and have been dying to use it ever since.
Buying new cookware is like having a new toy; you just can wait to take it out of its package and play with it!
And since it’s summer and I don’t have access to a backyard (one of the downsides of living in NYC), I thought a grill pan would imitate the charred flavors that signify summertime the way only an outdoor barbecue can. And what better to compliment charred flavors than with the famous yum yum sauce served in Japanese steakhouses!
Since meat sounds kind of heavy for 85 degree weather I instead made a light grilled summer squash with yum yum sauce recipe.
It’s easy, straight forward and perfect to serve on hot summer days. Making yum yum sauce – also called white sauce or shrimp sauce – is really simple!
The only catch is you have to make it the day before serving it so the flavors have time to develop.
The result of this yum yum sauce recipe is a creamy, almost French dressing-like sauce that’s milder in sweetness and tanginess. Yum yum sauce goes well with absolutely everything too!
I had some leftover chicken (from making a general Tso chicken recipe) and served it together as a dipping sauce.
If you are one of the lucky ones who has a backyard and an outdoor barbecue grill – we, Manhattaners and Brooklyners envy you every summer – then go make this grilled summer squash yum yum sauce recipe for your next dinner.
Whether it’s for family or friends, everyone will enjoy the combination of smoky charred zucchini and creamy yum yum sauce.
Serve this grilled summer squash with yum yum sauce recipe with a bright and light watermelon, strawberry and tomatillo salad, some ground chicken meatballs and asparagus kebabs, a tuna steak with quick tomato relish and some healthy rice crispy treats for dessert.
Summer Squash with Yum Yum Sauce
This is a light and easy recipe for Grilled Summer Squash with Yum Yum sauce – charred sliced summer squash topped with a sweet, tangy and creamy Japanese steakhouse sauce. Only 10 minutes to make!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 people 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Cuisine: American Japanese
- 2 yellow summer squash (zucchini)
- 2 green summer squash (zucchini)
Yum Yum Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- dash cayenne pepper
Yum yum sauce:
- Melt butter in a tupperware container and add all the other ingredients except mayonnaise. Stir until smooth. Add mayonnaise and stir until well blended. Refrigerate overnight (or make it early in the morning if you plan of serving it with dinner).
Slicing And Cooking The Squash:
- Slice summer squash lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick pieces. This step is optional -> Slice the squash pieces in half widthwise to make it easier to eat.
- Lay a couple of sheets of paper towel on a plate or flat surface. Set aside.
- Using a barbecue, hibachi grill or grill pan, grill the squash until you see charred marks. Flip the squash pieces and do the same for the other side.
- Transfer cooked squash on paper towel and using two more sheets, gently press/ squeeze out excess water from each piece.
- Put cooked squash in a bowl or plate and top with a little yum yum sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Put leftover yum yum sauce in a small bowl and serve together with grilled summer squash.
This yum yum sauce recipe was adapted from The Cooking Jar.
Keywords: recipe, hibachi, side dish, appetizer