Soup, soup, soup, soup, I love soup!!
I love making soup and coming up with new flavor combinations to devour and pair them up with other dishes. And since spring time is finally at our doorsteps, today I am using vibrant green sugar snap peas to celebrate its arrival.
This is a very simple and healthy skinny sugar snap pea soup with miso that almost tastes like cream of asparagus. Weird uh? But De-Li-Cious!!
Sugar snap peas puree extremely well once they have boiled in stock for a few minutes.
Unlike regular green peas which can sometimes give the soup a gritty/grainy mouthfeel, sugar snap peas have a very velvety texture. I am using vegetable broth but you can easily use chicken stock or even dashi as a substitute.
There are only three steps required for this soup: chop veggies, boil veggies and blend until smooth. It’s a basic, beginner’s level recipe anyone can make. And the whole process takes less than 30 minutes!
I usually go for seconds and thirds whenever there’s a pot of skinny sugar snap pea soup simmering on the stove. I’ll have a couple of bowls for dinner, another bowl as a late night snack and one more for lunch the following day.
But not this time.
My husband got to the last bowl of sugar snap pea soup before I did and boy was I surprised about that!
Don’t get me wrong – I was very happy because it meant the soup was a success, but it was weird because I’m the soup addict of the house. ME. Not him. His excuse? He couldn’t resist.
Blended vegetable soup used to be his favorite but he recently changed his mind and gave this skinny sugar snap pea soup with miso the crown.
If you love cooking as much as I do you’ll understand how good it feels to receive compliments on the dishes you cook.
I am extremely fortunate to be married to someone who never takes my cooking for granted and always makes a point of telling me how yummy he thinks my food is.
For a cook, it is the the most gratifying feeling ever! And it makes me want to cook dishes like this sugar snap pea soup with miso more often, because keeping his tummy happy makes my heart sing.Print
A creamy (but cream-free!) and delicate pea soup made with miso paste and vegetable broth. Less than 5 minutes of prepping! Healthy, vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas (trimmed and roughly chopped)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 stalk scallion (finely chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium size pot over medium heat, add oil and onions. Cook for 5 minutes stirring often to prevent onions from burning.
- Add sugar snap peas and one cup of vegetable broth. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetable broth and miso paste and bring to a boil. Stir well, lower to a bubbling simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes to help miso paste dissolve.
- Tun the heat off and use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup until it is smooth. Add half a cup of water if you find the soup too salty (or too thick).
- Season with salt and pepper and top with scallions. Serve hot.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 143.4 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: recipe, appetizer, vegan, vegetarian