This shrimp and celery salad started off as a side dish I served during one of my tapas style dinners. Often I’ll cook a few small and easy dishes such as cucumber maki rolls, pickled daikon and tofu dengaku and serve them with rice and miso soup.
Ben calls these dinners his ‘fun and favorite dinners’ because of the variety of flavors offered in one meal. They also make plenty of leftovers to eat throughout the evening and for the next couple of days.
The requirements for these tapas style (small plates) dinners is that the food must be easy and quick to prepare: This shrimp and celery salad is both. You can also use it as a filling for sushi hand rolls or simple onigiri (rice balls), very yummy!
Cooking shrimp is easy (see ginger shrimp balls recipe), healthy and a great source of Omega-3 and zinc; great for your skin and hair!
Did you like this Shrimp and Celery Salad Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
Shrimp and celery salad with wasabi mayo
Creamy, crunchy and
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 sides 1x
- Category: Salads
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 16–20 large raw shrimps, deveined and peeled
- 3 celery stalks, chopped bite size
- 2 tablespoon orange, red or green bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
- Salt and ichimi togarashi to taste
- Bring a small pot of water with 1 tablespoon salt to boil.
- Add celery and boil (this process is called blanching) for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse celery in cold water. Set aside.
- Bring another small pot of water to boil, add shrimps and boil for 3 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, blend mayonnaise, rice vinegar and wasabi paste together until smooth.
- Dry the shrimps with a paper towel or hand towel, and chop them into bite size. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Add celery and bell peppers to the mixing bowl, and stir all of the ingredients well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve cold.
This shrimp and celery salad will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Keywords: Appetizer, side, seafood