Chicken and vegetable club with sweet miso glaze
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Chicken and Vegetable Club with Sweet Miso
Have you ever had nasu dengaku? It’s a classic Japanese dish where an eggplant is sliced in half, fried, broiled, and glazed with a sweet miso paste. It’s absolutely delicious! The recipe is quite easy but finding Japanese eggplants can be hard sometimes (American eggplants have too many seeds) so I got a little creative and made my own sweet miso glazed treat: Meet the mini dengaku club!
I roasted green bell peppers, added a layer of chicken breast, a slab of sweet miso glaze and topped each piece off with jalapenos and fresh shiitake mushrooms. What came out of the oven was so yummy! Sweet but still very savory, the chicken was moist and the entire thing easy to eat. It’s a fun and healthy recipe that makes adorable little hors d’oeuvres when cut in half, and served with toothpicks!
Chicken and pepper with miso glaze
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 350 grams skinless chicken breasts
- 2 green bell peppers
- 8 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (peeled and grated)
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 teaspoon sake
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350Fº degrees. Cut the green bell peppers into quarters and cut out white membrane and core. Lay the peppers on a piece of parchment paper, in a sheet tray. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until slightly charred. Take peppers out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Leave the oven on.
- Make the dengaku sauce by mixing grated ginger, white miso paste, sake, mirin and soy sauce in a bowl, until uniformly blended. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into sizes equal to the quartered bell peppers. Lay a piece of chicken on top of a pepper – you can use the same parchment paper. Grab the dengaku sauce and with a brush, apply a layer on top of each chicken piece. Top with jalapeno and shiitake mushrooms.
- Put back in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Serve hot.
- Calories: 100
- Saturated Fat: 1
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.