Easy Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Fennel
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Have I got a delicious recipe for you today!
These easy scalloped potatoes with caramelized fennel are the bomb!! The dish is very close to a classic potato Dauphinoise (French baked scalloped potatoes with gruyere cheese) but with a whole layer of melt-in-your mouth fennel and topped with parmesan cheese.
Easy scalloped potatoes are exquisite and very simple to make!
There’s nothing quite like easy scalloped potatoes baked with a little cream, nutmeg, thyme, salt and pepper. It’s the root of all gratins where everything works in harmony and every bite is absolute bliss.
Fennel gives these easy scalloped potatoes a little sweetness and makes it lighter (and healthier).
Fennel has a strong anise flavor when it’s raw but tastes much milder once it’s cooked.
The texture is similar to celery but more tender and less stringy. It’s an ingredient often used in French cooking so adding it to my own easy scalloped potatoes only made sense. Plus, you can’t go wrong with a creamy, cheesy sauce, am I right?
I pan fried the fennel for a few minutes until the outside got a nice caramelization. My goal was to extract as much flavor and tenderness as possible. I also wanted to ensure the fennel would be entirely cooked through because there’s nothing worse than taking out a bubbling, cheesy dish out of the oven, only to realize that some layers are still crunchy.
That breaks my heart every time! Prep time for this easy scalloped potatoes recipe is only 10 minutes but you will need an extra 40 to bake it in the oven. Once it’s in the oven though, you can leave it unsupervised until it’s time to eat it.
The last time I served easy scalloped potatoes with caramelized fennel was with baked chicken rolls and an arugula salad with soy lime vinaigrette. If you’d like a full on French dinner, start with a mushroom soup and serve the potatoes with burger Lyonnaise and a side of ratatouille.Print
Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Fennel
This recipe will make you addicted to scalloped potatoes! Adapted from the classic French potato Dauphinoise dish, these baked scalloped potatoes are combined with caramelized sliced fennel, in a creamy and cheesy sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: French
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb (fronds and core removed, thinly sliced)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 sprig parsley (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese or Roquefort cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Put cream, nutmeg, parsley sprig, thyme and butter in a small pot over medium heat and
- Peel and slice potato using a knife or mandolin slicer. Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick. Put the slices in a bowl filled with water and set aside.
- In a pan over medium high heat, add oil and garlic and fry until garlic becomes fragrant (about one minute). Add fennel and lower heat to medium. Cook for about six minutes, until fennel become soft but still yield a slight crunch. Turn the heat off and transfer the fennel into a baking dish. Drain the potatoes well and add them to the baking dish. Spread the vegetables evenly throughout the dish and pour the cream mixture over (evenly as well).
- Top with cheese and bake for about 40 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Serve.
Keywords: recipe, appetizer
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.