Julia Child’s Ground Beef Patties
Another delicious and easy to prepare Julia Child recipe: Juicy ground beef hamburgers a la French! Vive la bonne bouffe!
Serve this delicious beef patties with more Julia dishes such as sauteed mushrooms and creamed spinach, and a nice glass of white wine.
Julia Child’s Ground Beef Patties with Onions and Herbs
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 patties 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: French, Beef
- 3/4 cup yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spread on a plate)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth (or red wine)
- In a large pan over medium heat, add 2 tbsp butter and cook the onions slowly for about 10 minutes (until very tender but not browned). Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the beef, soft butter, seasonings, and egg to the onions in the mixing bowl and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon to blend thoroughly. Correct seasoning. Form into patties 3/4 inch thick. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Just before sauteing, roll the patties lightly in the flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and oil to a pan over moderately high heat and when you see the butter foam begin to subside, saute the patties for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, depending on how you like your hamburgers (rare, medium or well done).
- Arrange the patties on the serving platter and keep warm for a moment while finishing the sauce. Pour the fat out of the skillet. Add the liquid (broth, wine or water) and boil it down rapidly, scraping up the coagulated pan juices, until it has reduced almost to a syrup. Off heat, swirl leftover butter into the sauce until it is absorbed. Pour the sauce over the hamburgers and serve.
I need to add that on the show, she mentions 25% fat is ideal, so ground chuck is used.
I am watching Chapter Two,
Meat on YouTube.
This was best ground beef recipe. I constantly ask my mom to make it for me.
Try this recipe with Bison and only the egg yolk.
A new profile in flavor and nutrients.
This is so delicious! I used to make it all the time in the ‘70’s and 80’s. Just simple and so good. So happy I’ve found it again. Have been looking for it in my Julia books.
I will definitely try this recipe, my only problem is that eating beef gives me indigestion. My solution would be substituting beef with chicken or drinking zobo drink after the meat to aid my digestion.
I now want a burger upon seeing this blog! Been looking for a lean ground beef with herbs and spices among the wholesale meats in Melbourne but I guess it’s better if you customize it according to your own taste. Great recipe! Thanks!