Today would’ve been Julia Child’s 100th birthday, a woman who changed the way America cooks by introducing classic French methods and publishing “Mastering the Art of French Cooking“, one of the most famous cookbooks in history. To celebrate her birthday, I thought I’d cook a couple of easy, cost effective and time saving French recipes from her book, that anyone can make from the comfort of their own home. The first being these absolutely delicious sauteed mushrooms with breadcrumbs and butter, followed by creamed spinach and beef patties.
Julia Child’s Mushrooms Sauteed with Shallots
Julia Child’s Mushrooms Sauteed with Shallots, Garlic, and Herbs
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: French
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms (whole if small, quartered if large)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons scallions or shallots (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Saute the mushrooms in oil and butter until lightly browned. Stir in the shallots or green onions, optional garlic, and bread crumbs, and toss over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Just before serving, season to taste, and toss with the herbs.