This is a basic Japanese hot pot recipe you can make at home and enjoy with your family!
Did you like this Basic Japanese Hot Pot Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!
Basic Japanese Hot Pot (Yosenabe)
A basic Japanese hot pot recipe you can make at home and enjoy with your family!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Soups
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 1 bunch enoki mushrooms
- 8 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach (optional)
- 2 oz rice noodles or sweet potato noodles
- 14 oz block silken or medium firm tofu
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced beef (optional)
- 8 large shrimps (optional)
- 8 clams (optional)
- 4 cups dashi broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mirin
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 1 teaspoon salt
With an electric skillet
- Place all the ingredients for the broth in the electric skillet and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to low and add the tofu, meat and/or seafood.
- Cook for 3 minutes and add the vegetables and noodles. Simmer until all the ingredients are cooked.
- Give each person a bowl so they can serve themselves, along with individual bowls of ponzu and sesame sauce for dipping.
In a regular pot over a burner
- Place all the ingredients for the broth in a large pot, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the tofu, meat and/or seafood and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables and noodles and simmer until all the ingredients are cooked through.
- Divide the soup into even portions and serve with a side of ponzu sauce or sesame sauce to use for dipping.
You can have fun with the dipping sauces, use anything you enjoy eating! The same goes with the ingredients for the yosenabe, you can add your own mix of veggies, even flavor the soup however you want. For example, I like to add kimchi to mine sometimes to spice up the pot and turn it into a Korean meal!
- Calories: 492
- Saturated Fat: 5
Keywords: nabemono, main, comfort food, one pot