This spicy honey, ginger and turmeric latte is the perfect beverage to soothe a sore throat, achy head and stuffed up nose.
Honey Ginger and Turmeric Latte
Guess who caught a bad cold and isn’t happy about it?
I’m writing you from my bed, tucked under the covers and with the humidifier going at full blast. I really thought I was going to get through this winter feeling strong and healthy, with my daily regimen of fruit smoothies and mini home workouts.
I felt good, positive, motivated! Now I’m just hoping this nasty cold will go away quickly – shoo!
We all get sick in different ways. For Ben, it starts with his chest and makes its way to his throat. I, on the other hand, get it all in the sinus area; I feel stuffy, headachy and tired. When I get like this, I make myself a big pot of ginger water – I find the spiciness of the ginger against my throat incredibly soothing.
And if I want something tastier, I’ll whip up a quick honey ginger and turmeric latte. It has a touch of sweetness, a little creaminess and is packed with anti-inflammatory properties!
The combination of ginger and turmeric help relieve sinus headaches and stuffiness, while the honey kills bacteria that can cause chronic sinusitis.
I am also using almond milk, a non dairy substitute, since cow milk contains casein – a natural protein that can make mucus thicker. The worst when you have a cold!
I make myself a ginger honey and turmeric latte for breakfast (with a shot of coffee – it’s yummy!) to open up my sinuses, and one before bed time. It’s a little routine I’ve picked up after discovering how well the combination of ingredients worked at fighting off a cold.
It may not cure it entirely but it does make me feel better!
Other recipes to fight the common cold:
Did you like this Honey Ginger and Turmeric Latte Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
Honey Ginger and Turmeric Latte
This spicy Honey, Ginger and Turmeric Latte Recipe is the perfect beverage to soothe a sore throat, achy head and a stuffed up nose.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 latte 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 thumb size ginger pieces (peeled and sliced into small chunks)
- 2 teaspoons organic raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Fill a pot with 1 cup water and add ginger chunks. Bring to a boil, cover and lower to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let it steep for 20 minutes. Take a sip – you should feel a burning sensation in your throat (you may need to let it steep for a little longer).
- Put almond milk in a mug and microwave for 30 seconds, or until hot.
- Add honey, ground ginger and turmeric, and stir well.
- Add 1/2 cup ginger water to the mug and stir well. Serve hot.
This Honey Ginger And Turmeric Latte Is:
Low in saturated fat
Very high in calcium
High in iron
Very high in manganese
High in magnesium
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 11.9 g
- Sodium: 141.8 mg
- Fat: 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: recipe, healthy, vegetarian, gluten-free