A hearty and delicious recipe for cream of mushroom chicken with freshly chopped carrots, mushrooms and thyme. Ready in under 20 minutes!
Hearty Cream Of Mushroom Chicken
Long weekend with family, drinks with friends, lots of TV watching and eating leftovers. That’s what I call a perfect mini holiday! I needed a few days of doing absolutely nothing to recharge my batteries since I’ve been going at it full throttle for weeks, if not months.
There seems to be no end in sight to those 12 hour work days as my head is buried in projects, paperwork, editing, recipe creating, optimizing… All of it exciting but exhausting at the same time!
However, this morning I woke up feeling good and ready to get back to work. Easy work. I mean, it’s still the weekend after all!
Yes, I do feel rejuvenated and more relaxed than I’ve been in a while but I think I’ll keep it easy in the kitchen for one more day. Nothing wrong with that right? Making a comforting dish like this cream of mushroom chicken takes no time at all – I made mine in just 17 minutes! It’s simple (10 ingredients), savory, earthy, peppery and really satisfying.
Creamy and yet, still reasonably low in saturated fat, it’s a dish that’s filling on its own or with a side of pasta or rice.
I especially love the rustic looks of this cream of mushroom chicken, like it’s been bubbling away in the oven for hours.
The chopped thyme and golden brown mushrooms add pops of color and make you want to dive into it with a broken piece of baguette and scoop up all of that creamy goodness.
Halfway through our meal we added a couple of handfuls of arugula to the pan of cream of mushroom chicken and WOW – it made the dish jump out in flavors even more! By doing so we added peppery, bitter and refreshing to its flavor profile. This cream of mushroom chicken is delicious without any added ingredients but if you do happen to have a few extra arugula leaves, add them.
You will be pleasantly surprise I promise!
This cream of mushroom chicken recipe tastes best when eaten straight out of the pan but can keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Other simple and rustic recipes:
- Lemon chicken and orzo soup
- Hearty Tuscan Soup
- Vegetable ricotta pie
- Fennel and black olive ciabatta pizza
- Warm fennel and chickpea salad
Did you like this Cream Of Mushroom Chicken Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
Hearty Cream Of Mushroom Chicken
Hearty and delicious recipe for cream of mushroom chicken with freshly chopped carrots, mushrooms and thyme. Ready in 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 people 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (finely chopped)
- 10.5 ounce can 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 5 ounce can fat free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless (skinless chicken fillets (or breasts))
- 1 large carrot (chopped into small bite size pieces)
- 1 cup mushrooms (shiitake and/or button mushrooms) (chopped)
- salt and pepper to season chicken
- handful arugula (optional)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a deep pan over medium high heat, add 1tbsp extra virgin olive, garlic and thyme. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add cream of mushroom, evaporated milk, soy sauce and black pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and carrots and stir. Lower heat to a simmering boil, cover with a lid and cook for 7-10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile in another pan over medium high heat, add remaining olive oil and mushrooms. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown. Turn the heat off, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Serve cream of mushroom chicken topped with cooked mushrooms and arugula.
This Cream Of Chicken Mushroom Recipe Is:
high in vitamin A
high in calcium
high in iron
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 389
- Sugar: 9.2 g
- Sodium: 994.7 mg
- Fat: 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.3 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 101.5 mg
Keywords: recipe, stew, poultry, comfort food, hearty