Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich (Video)
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Elevate your lunch game with this delicious and indulgent Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich. Gooey Gruyère, smoky salami and grilled chicken make this tasty sandwich a treat your family will love! Ready in 20 minutes from start to finish.
CHICKEN CORDON BLEU SANDWICH
I have a weakness for sandwiches. My mom used to make amazing cucumber and tomato finger sandwiches with wasabi mayo when I was a little kid. She’d cut the crusts off and we’d munch on them with all the fanfare of ladies in elbow gloves at high tea.
Years later when she she showed me how to make them, I was shocked at how simple they were to whip up, yet how delicious and indulgent those humble ingredients seemed once assembled between two pieces of bread.
The same can be said of this chicken cordon bleu sandwich. While the grilled chicken, Gruyère cheese and salami are definitely more rustic, hearty ingredients to use, the simplicity of making these sandwiches is similar.
The result is gooey, delicious sandwich perfection – a taste experience definitely greater than the sum of its parts.
This chicken cordon bleu sandwich is like a deconstructed version of the original cordon bleu recipe. But instead of stuffing a chicken breast with cheese and ham, I assembled all of the base ingredients between two slices of multigrain bread and went to the grill pan to create a toasty, crunchy exterior.
Oh – btw, I’m a sucker for grill marks on bread!
That being said, this chicken cordon bleu sandwich can totally be prepared in a frying pan or saute pan. The chicken cutlet is simply grilled with salt and pepper and, after cooking, shredded with forks. Instead of ham, I opted for salami which imparts a smoky and almost vinegary flavor undertone.
Using Gruyère or Swiss cheese brings a creamy element to the mix. I am by no means a cheese snob, but shelling out a few extra bucks on a good cheese can make all the difference. To my surprise, the star of this chicken cordon bleu sandwich is the fresh thyme leaves that go inside the sandwich – and as a finishing topper after you take it out of the grill pan. The fragrant notes play so nicely with the salami and Dijon mustard, and really elevate the entire flavor profile.
Let’s hear it for the herbs!
To keep this chicken cordon bleu sandwich on the healthier side, I used multigrain bread – and, against my instincts, steered clear of using mayo. To my delight, Dijon mustard saved the day and harmonized perfectly with all the other sandwich components. For once, I didn’t miss mayonnaise on a sandwich at all!
This is a perfect lunch recipe for a lazy Sunday afternoon spent binge-watching Netflix or baseball games with family and friends. Or level up your snacktime and whip up this hearty and delicious chicken cordon bleu in 20 minutes. Now, I just need to return the sandwich lesson to my mother.
I can’t wait to show her how easy this chicken cordon bleu sandwich is to make!
Other easy, healthy and absolutely delicious sandwich recipes:
- Finger Sandwiches with Wasabi Mayo
- Healthy Chicken Salad Sandwich
- My Favorite Tuna Sandwich
- Chicken Banh Mi
- Breakfast Asparagus, Radish and Ricotta Toast
Did you like this Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
CHICKEN CORDON BLEU SANDWICH
Elevate your lunch game with this delicious and indulgent Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich. Gooey Gruyère, smoky salami and shredded chicken make this tasty sandwich a treat your family will love! Ready in 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for brushing)
- 4 slices multi-grain bread
- 2 ounces Gruyère or Swiss cheese (shredded)
- 4–6 slices salami
- 1/2 pound skinless chicken cutlet
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- 1–2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick grill-pan or frying pan over medium heat and brush with olive oil.
- When the pan is hot, add chicken and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken cutlet from grill pan and, using two forks, shred the chicken and set aside.
- Assemble the sandwiches: spread Dijon mustard on each slice of bread, sprinkle thyme, top with cheese, salami slices, shredded chicken and fold over to create two sandwiches.
- In a grill-pan or frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil and sandwiches.
- Cook for 3 minutes (or until bread becomes golden brown), flip and cook other side 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer sandwiches to cutting board, sprinkle with thyme and serve immediately.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich Recipe can keep refrigerated for 1 day but is much better when eaten fresh!
Keywords: recipe, snack, lunch
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.