There is nothing boring about this veggie sandwich! Work your way through layers and layers of bold flavors in this California veggie sandwich with pickled carrots, mashed avocado, lemony goat cheese spread, cucumbers, sprouts and baby spinach. This picnic favorite is a powerhouse of health and tastes like a sunny day in L.A!
California Veggie Sandwich
I fell in love with the California veggie sandwich from the moment I saw a picture of it in Bon Appetit magazine. Look at that beauty! So colorful and tall and with ingredients that scream healthy for the mind and body. I found myself staring at the picture and going back to it over and over until I finally decided to make it – and disappoint it did not!
This sandwich has it all; it’s crunchy, light, creamy, tart, sweet and nutty. I could have it every day because it feels so good to eat, plus, I’m doing my body a favor by injecting it with so many wholesome ingredients.
There are three steps to making this California veggie sandwich:
- Making the pickles which is really easy. All you have to do is chop a carrot and a shallot, pour a hot mixture of brown sugar, salt and apple cider vinegar on top and wait until it cools down.
- Make the goat cheese spread – again, very easy. Whisk in a little lemon juice, yogurt, olive oil and goat cheese in a bowl until the texture is smooth.
- Putting the Cali-wich together and enjoying the crap out of it.
The pickles can be made ahead of time and will keep refrigerated for up to a month. I make a jar of them and put them on everything from sandwiches to salads to even Japanese curries. They come in really handy whenever I’m looking to add an extra layer of flavor to my dishes. Great condiment to have in my fridge, I highly recommend you do the same!
You know I’m all for eating healthy, but I also eat for pleasure. I always look for the right balance between tasty, enjoyable and nutritious. If I find a dish that has the trifecta, I add it to my menu and put it in heavy rotation. This sandwich made the list – it’s the kind of spa food I can eat daily and with plenty of gusto!
I also got a little naughty once and added a couple of slices of bacon and an egg. The whole thing was almost too good to eat. I savored every bite and every layer slowly until there was nothing left on my plate. I can see myself repeating this offense in the foreseeable future but for now, let’s stick to the original recipe.
The whole point of the California veggie sandwich is that it’s light, made with all veggies and really good for the waistline. So go ahead, make it for lunch today or tomorrow and you can think about baconizing it later 😉
Other all veggie recipes:
- Vegetarian chili
- Japchae (Korean glass noodles)
- Char siu style roasted eggplant
- Hearty farro salad
- Grilled corn on the cob with tomatillo dressing
Did you like this California Veggie Sandwich Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share?Print
California Veggie Sandwich
Get all your vitamins in one delicious sandwich!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Sandwiches
- Cuisine: American
For the pickles:
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 carrot (peeled and julienned)
- 1 shallot (thinly sliced)
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the sandwich:
- 1 avocado (mashed)
- 1/2 English cucumber (thinly sliced on the bias)
- 1/2 cup baby spinach or microgreens
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 4 slices multi grain bread
- Put sliced carrots and shallots in a bowl and set aside.
- Put apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and salt in a pot and heat until sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat off and pour the liquid over the carrots and shallots. Let cool to room temperature and drain.
- Put all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl, break the goat cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Putting the sandwich together:
- Grab 2 slices of bread and spread a generous amount of goat cheese mixture on both slices.
- Top with pickled carrots and shallots, a layer of baby spinach and alfalfa sprouts.
- Spread mashed avocado on the remaining two slices of bread and lay each slice on top of each sandwich. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 548
- Sugar: 12.9 g
- Sodium: 505.3 mg
- Fat: 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.4 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 21.9 g
- Cholesterol: 15.4 mg
Keywords: recipe, lunch, healthy, snack, vegetarian