These Bisquick sausage balls are peppery, sweet and cheesy, and ready to eat in only 20 minutes!
Bisquick Sausage Balls with Thyme and Parmesan
Sausage balls, sausage biscuits, sausage scones…Call them what you like, all you need to know is that these meaty, doughy balls are amazing! We’ve been eating these for breakfast but they can be munched on pretty much as part of a lunch or dinner meal, and and even as a mid afternoon snack.
Only seven ingredients are needed to make this sweet and savory Bisquick sausage balls recipe: Bisquick, 2% milk, turkey sausages, thyme, ground black pepper, parmesan cheese and maple syrup. So easy!
Pairing sausages with maple syrup is something I picked up from my mother who always had a pot of li’l smokies and maple syrup bubbling on the stove during the holiday season. She would cook them until the maple syrup thickened and glazed the mini sausages, and served them in a bowl with toothpicks.
They were always a huge hit and I have since continued the tradition by offering them every year as part of our Christmas dinner here in Brooklyn.
The combination of meaty, salty sausages and maple syrup is a little strange but also irresistible – the flavors are such polar opposites and yet they make the perfect marriage!
I also love the combination of thyme and freshly grated parmesan cheese – classic Italian. And I’ve added a good pinch of ground black pepper to make everything pop even more.
So many flavors – international flavors – can be found in these little Bisquick sausage balls! Savory, sweet, peppery, umami… And I can only imagine how even more addictive these would be topped with a melting pat of butter.
That’s too much sexy for one bite.
If you like this Bisquick sausage balls recipe, here are other easy sides and appetizers perfect for dinner parties, as well as for this upcoming holiday season: healthier southern cornbread, grilled cauliflower with sriracha Buffalo sauce, salmon croquettes with dill and sriracha dip, vegetables with miso lemon dip.
Did you like this Bisquick Sausage Balls with Thyme and Parmesan Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
These Bisquick Sausage Balls are peppery, sweet and cheesy and ready to eat in just 20 minutes!
- 5 turkey sausages
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Finely chop sausages and add them to a pot along with thyme and maple syrup. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Turn the heat off, transfer to a plate and let cool to room temperature (or you can put the sausages in the freezer for 5-7 minutes to speed up the cooling process.)
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl except sausages, and stir until ingredients are blended. Add sausages and mix well until sausages are evenly spread throughout the Bisquick dough.
- Cover a baking tray with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Cover your hands with a little extra virgin olive oil – this will prevent the dough from sticking – and scoop out a little mixture (about a heaping tablespoon). Make small sausage balls and put them on the baking tray, leaving about 2 inches space in between biscuits.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve.
This Bisquick sausage balls with thyme and parmesan recipe will keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 10.3 g
- Sodium: 207.2 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.2 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 14.3 mg
Keywords: recipe, Thanksgiving, Christmas, appetizer, hors d'oeuvres