This sauteed mushrooms and onions recipe makes a stunning side dish! Sweet pearl onions and earthy mushrooms are pan fried with garlic butter, paprika and salt and finished in the oven. Ah-mazing!
Caramelized golden brown mushrooms with peppery arugula that’s cooked in garlic butter… Seriously you guys, it’s the bomb!
I make this side dish every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner (and whenever it’s really cold outside because it’s so comforting) and everyone
loves adores it.
I mean, what’s not to like: you’ve got sweet and almost melt-in-your-mouth tender pearl onions paired with savory, earthy button mushrooms and a sprinkle of smoky and aromatic paprika powder – boom! Flavor explosion in your mouth!
It’s a hearty side that’s filling and compliments just about any meat or poultry dish. Roasting the sauteed mushrooms and onions in the oven is what gives them their beautiful color and caramelization.
It’s a method of cooking vegetables I’ve grown to love more and more because it’s easy and makes them taste that much better. Potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, Brussels sprouts – the list is endless!
You can also finish the dish by adding a splash of good balsamic vinegar to deglaze all that yummy bottom of the pan stuff. This recipe makes enough for four small sides which is the perfect serving size I think for this sauteed mushrooms and onions dish.
Put too much on a plate and it becomes a whole lot of onions to munch on if you know what I mean.
Less is better for this, trust me 😉
You can make this sauteed mushrooms and onions recipe a few hours in advanced and reheat before serving. It will be just as scrumptious!
Other easy and comforting side dishes:
- Loaded baked sweet potato
- Oven roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, cranberries and walnuts
- Bisquick sausage balls with thyme and parmesan
- Sauteed Brussels sprouts with breadcrumbs and almonds
- Creamy scalloped potatoes with caramelized fennel
Did you like this Sauteed Mushrooms And Onions With Paprika Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
Sauteed Pearl Onions And Mushrooms With Garlic Butter
Sauteed mushrooms and onions with paprika recipe – Sweet pearl onions and earthy mushrooms are pan fried with butter, paprika and salt and finished in the oven.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: French, American
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oli
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (leaves picked)
- 12–14 button mushrooms (rinsed, dried and stems removed)
- 10–12 pearl onions
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup arugula
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- In an oven safe frying pan over medium heat, add 1tbsp butter, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and thyme and cook for one minute.
- Add mushrooms and pearl onions flat in the pan and cook for 7 minutes, until onions are beginning to soften.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven and roast for 15 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Take the pan out of the oven, add paprika salt, pepper and remaining butter and gently toss. Top with arugula and roast for another 3-5 minutes, until arugula has completely wilted.
- Serve immediately.
This Sauteed Mushrooms And Onions With Paprika Recipe will keep refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 112
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 297.4 mg
- Fat: 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.2 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 15.3 mg
Keywords: recipe, appetizer, Christmas, Thanksgiving, vegetarian, gluten-free