The list of delicious ramen shops in NYC is long and so are the lines to get into them!
What makes them so popular and addictive are the complex broths that take hours to prepare and the discipline that goes into making each bowl taste the same time and again. You might think making homemade ramen is an impossible feat after taking a sip of their heavenly, milky white broths.
Yes, making something as good as Ippudo’s famous akamaru ramen would be quite hard to achieve in your own kitchen, but it doesn’t always have to be this fancy and complicated.
Sometimes, a simple bowl of homemade ramen is all you need to satisfy that craving for chewy noodle soup.
I make ramen at home all the time and I can tell you that it hits the spot every single I’m looking for something comforting. And, though you won’t get the same depth of flavor as a broth made of chicken bones that have simmered for hours, you will still be very happy with this creation.
Serve this easy chicken ramen recipe with a side of watermelon rind and daikon salad, soy and sesame edamame, or top with some sweet corn with creamy miso sauce (corn being a popular ramen topping in the northern side of Japan) or
Did you like this chicken ramen recipe Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
This is a quick and easy chicken ramen recipe, packed with umami and earthy flavors.
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 6 ounces dry ramen noodles, or 3.5 ounces fresh ramen noodles
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Chili oil or toasted sesame oil, to taste (optional)
- Ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- In a medium size pot, add the chicken stock, mirin, soy sauce, and shiitake mushrooms. Bring to a boil, lower heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook the ramen noodles according to the directions on the package – usually 2 to 3 minutes for fresh noodles, or 4 to 5 minutes for dry noodles.
- Drain and divide the ramen noodles equally among two bowls.
- Add the soup and shiitake mushrooms.
- Top with green onions, a drizzle of chili oi, and a little ground black pepper.
You can make this recipe vegan by swapping the chicken broth for kombu dashi or vegetable broth.
The broth can be made ahead and saved in a storage container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 489
- Sugar: 15.3g
- Sodium: 913.1mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 83.7g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 21.4g
- Cholesterol: 78.6mg