When it comes to what my favorite breakfast food is, it’s a toss up between eggs benedict and French toast.
I find it hard to resist an English muffins topped with ham, egg and covered in creamy Hollandaise sauce, but I also am a sucker for thick slices of bread soaked in eggs, milk, sugar and fried in a pan until the exterior is crispy… Délicieux!
I grew up eating French toast almost every weekend since French toast is a traditional breakfast staple in Quebec (called pain doré).
Obviously, it comes served with real maple syrup (French toast is also part of the menu in most sugar shacks) and a big cup of coffee to sip on and to wash everything down.
There are so many different ways to make amazing French toasts! Using light coconut milk is one method I love because it adds a mild sweetness to the dish.
Smashing a few raspberries into the light coconut milk also adds color and fruitiness to the toasts, so you can use less sugar and still get plenty of flavor.
Only a tablespoon of butter is used for this coconut French toast recipe so despite its super indulgent taste, you can rest assure that what’s on your plate isn’t loaded with too much fat.
This is one sexy plate of French toast if you ask me!
Sweet, fluffy, crispy, golden brown toasts topped with bright red raspberries makes it the perfect meal to bring to bed and share with your significant other.
I love making these for a late morning breakfast – served with maple syrup or honey, and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. It’s the best way to start our only day off (we work six days a week) lazing around in our pyjamas watching reruns of Cheers, before tackling more work for the upcoming week here at Pickled Plum!
Like this Coconut French Toast Recipe? Try pairing it with a cool banana and coffee smoothie, an AM glow berry smoothie or a sweet Thai iced tea (cha-yen).
Coconut French Toast with Smashed Raspberries
A beautiful breakfast of coconut and raspberry French toast will make anyone smile.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: French
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 4 slices white or whole grain bread
- powdered sugar
- cinnamon powder
- maple syrup (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the raspberries, coconut milk, egg and granulated sugar.
- Soak the bread slices in the mixture for about 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping them over a couple of times. You want the bread to absorb most of the liquid.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add butter and swirl it around until completely melted.
- When the butter is foaming, add the bread slices and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Turn the heat off and transfer on two separate plates, with two toasts each.
- Sprinkle a little powdered sugar and cinnamon powder, add a few fresh raspberries and serve with maple syrup.
French toast are best when eating as soon as they come out of the pan but you can keep them refrigerated in a storage container for 1 day. Instead of microwaving, warm them up in a pan to get a crispy exterior.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 17.3 g
- Sodium: 243.2 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.6 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 10.5 g
- Cholesterol: 108.3 mg
Keywords: recipe, main, brunch, dessert
Oh god this french toast looks delicious… I love that you used coconut milk especially. Craving this for breakfast tomorrow morning, just need to get my hands on the ingredients not!
Thank you Thalia, it really is yummy! I also love French toast, this is a healthier version but still decadent and delicious nonetheless 🙂