Here’s a really easy dessert that’s dear to my heart!
Puff pastry is so wonderful to use whenever you want to take a basic recipe to the next level: It classes up basic, simple dishes such as these tasty strawberry banana puff shells.
Flaky and buttery shells fresh out of the oven, filled with a sweet strawberry and banana filling, and finished with a dollop (or two) of whipped cream.
Delightful! Call it a puff pastry version of strawberry (and banana) shortcake.
Puff pastry is also an ingredient that made a regular appearance during holidays and Sunday family dinners. It’s the ideal vehicle for sauces and creams.
The textural change of the pastry, from flaky to doughy once the shell absorbs any type of sauce is something I find very hard to resist.
It’s the perfect marriage between decadence and chewiness that keeps me coming back for more. My penchant for chewy food (I heart kinako dango) is very Japanese while my obsession with sauces (creamed spinach) is classically French.
These strawberry banana puff shells are fairly mild so I recommend using custard instead of whipped cream if you want extra sweetness. Dusting a little powdered cinnamon on top is also very delicious and nutty.
Did you like this Strawberry Banana Puffs Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!Print
Strawberry banana puffs
Flaky, sweet and fruity puff pastries your kids will love.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
- Yield: 6 pastries 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 package puff pastry shells (6 shells)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 bananas (peeled and diced)
- 10 strawberries (diced)
- cinnamon (for sprinkling)
- custard or whipped cream for topping *optional
- – Baked puff pastry by following directions on package.
- – In a pan over low heat, add butter and sugar. Stir constantly for 5 minutes, until sugar is melted and texture becomes a little sticky.
- – Add strawberries and bananas to the pan, turn the heat up to medium/high and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- – Take the top off each pastry shells and fill each one with the strawberry banana mixture. Top with a little custard or whipped cream. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and finish off by putting the shell top on. Serve immediately.
These strawberry banana puffs will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 429
- Sugar: 22.7 g
- Sodium: 120.5 mg
- Fat: 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.8 g
- Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: snack, sweets