Okayu – Japanese Congee
Okayu (Japanese congee)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Porridge
- Cuisine: Japanese, Rice
- 2 1/2 cups cooked Japanese rice
- 10 cups chicken or vegetables broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup butternut squash (cubed)
- 1 thumb size ginger (julienned (cut into very thin strips))
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped (optional))
- 3 cups spinach (chopped)
- In a large pot over high heat, add olive oil, ginger strips and garlic. Cook for a minute and add onions with a sprinkle of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, stir and add 8 cups of broth. Bring to boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and the remaining 2 cups of broth. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer again for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and cook for an addition 10 minutes. Turn the heat off, season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Calories: 274
- Saturated Fat: 1