Chicken And Pepper Stew
Traditionally called ‘poulet Basquaise’, this simple chicken and pepper stew is easy, very EASY to make! The ingredients are basic (red wine is optional though a splash of it adds a nice kick to the sauce) and the cooking process can be mostly left unattended. What you’ll end up with is juicy, tender chicken legs wrapped in a rich, vibrant sauce. The flavors are similar to ratatouille – mild, a little sweet and oh so comforting!Print
Chicken and pepper stew
This a quick, easy and very tasty classic recipe from the Basque region. Tender chicken served in a tomato pepper sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 4 people
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: French, Spanish, Poultry
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 28 ounce can crushed canned tomatoes
- 4 chicken legs (with skin on)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1/2 cup red wine ((optional))
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large deep pan (or pot) over high heat, add olive oil, chicken legs with the skin down and cook until the skin is golden brown (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add garlic, jalapeno and onions and cook until onions are translucent (3-5 minutes). Add peppers, tomatoes and red wine and bring to boil. Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.
- Calories: 451
- Saturated Fat: 5