Red pepper and olive spread
Very healthy and colorful, this red pepper and kalamata olive spread takes no time to make and is a great accompaniment to a vegetable plate, baguette and crackers. Red bell peppers are great for your skin as they help minimize wrinkles while kalamata olives are an excellent source of vitamin E, an antioxidant protecting against free radicals.
Bring this yummy red pepper spread to a picnic, a barbecue (delish with beef and chicken!) or to a pot luck to promote healthy eating (low in fat and calories) and as an option for vegetarians.Print
Red peppers and kalamata olives spread
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Condiment, Spread
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan
- 2 red bell peppers (cored and seeded)
- 8 kalamata olives (pitted and finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon capers (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 baguette
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350Fº. Wrap the red bell peppers in foil and roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Check the red pepper after 20 minutes or so, every oven is different so yours may cook faster and need less than 30 minutes. If the peppers are soft and beginning to blister, leave them uncovered, put them back in the oven and roast for another 5-7 minutes, until slightly charred. You want your peppers to be very soft. Take out of the oven and let cool.
- Finely chopped the peppers and put them in a bowl. Add olive oil, capers, olives, freshly ground peppers and mix well.
- A yummy way to serve this spread is by lightly toasting a baguette, putting a little bit of the spread on top and sprinkling a little freshly grated parmesan.