*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Taken from Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Mark Bittman’s cookbook “Simple to Spectacular”, this Asian mayonnaise is packed with strong flavors that pair well with fish, veggies or as a spread for sandwiches. It’s easy to make and will wow your guests for its uniqueness.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Condiment
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon ginger (peeled and finely grated)
- 1/4 cup roasted sesame oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno (minced)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- To make by hand, use a wire whisk to beat together the egg yolk, mustard, and ginger in a bowl. Combine the oils. Begin to add the oil VERY SLOWLY, a little at a time (otherwise it won’t thicken)
- as you beat, adding more as each bit is incorporated. Once a thick emulsion forms – you’ll know it – you can add the oil a little faster. Depending on how fast you beat, the whole process should take 2-5 minutes.
- To make by machine, put the egg yolk, mustard and ginger in the container of a blender or food processor and turn on the machine. While it’s running, add the oils in a VERY SLOW steady stream. Once an emulsion forms, you can add the oil a little faster. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the soy sauce, lime juice, chile, and sesame seeds and stir.
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.