Mushrooms Spring Rolls
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
A delicious spring rolls recipe taken from the Simple to Spectactular cookbook, this mushrooms spring rolls recipe by Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Mark Bittman is easy, classy looking and pairs American, and Asian flavors beautifully. If you’re looking for healthy party food, this is a great snack/appetizer to serve along with other finger foods such as these deviled eggs, quick fry bamboo shoots or bonito flavored edamame.
Mushrooms spring rolls
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (trimmed, washed and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons ginger (peeled and minced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- salt and pepper
- 3 scallions (finely chopped)
- 24 6-inch squares phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts (finely chopped)
- 1 small chili (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Put the 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they give up their liquid. Add ginger and garlic, along with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until the mixture is quite dry. Stir in the scallions and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fº. Brush 12 squares of phyllo lightly with oil and place the remaining phyllo on top of them. With a point of each square facing you, spoon a heaping tablespoon of the mushroom mixture across the center of each square, making a 4-inch-long log from left to right. Fold over the left and right of each square so that they overlap in the middle. Brush a bit of oil over the top half of the wrapper. Fold the bottom half up, then roll up tightly; the oil will seal the spring roll. As each of the rolls is done, place it on a lightly oiled baking pan. (You can prepare the spring rolls in advance up to this point; refrigerate, well wrapped or in a covered container, for up to 2 hours before proceeding.)
- Bake the spring rolls for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and hot.
- While they are baking, make the dipping sauce: Combine the peanuts, chile, and sugar in a small skillet over medium-high heat and cook, tossing and stirring. until the mixture is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the coconut mild and stir, then cook until reduced by about 1/3 and thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and lemon and remove from the heat.
- Serve the spring rolls hot, with the warm dipping sauce.
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.