Arugula salad with walnuts, blue cheese and cranberries
This arugula salad recipe is fairly common l but I felt the need to share since I’ve been a little obsessed with it lately. I decided to start the new year healthy by eating more nutritious foods and going easy on the butter. Seriously, I don’t have oodles of resolutions I wish to accomplish, my life is pretty good except for the fact that I have been indulging a little too much on chocolate, butter and diet cokes. For me, eating healthier doesn’t mean cutting out all carbs and fats, which are essential for a healthy brain function and to regulate mood swings. What I want to focus on this year are the nutrients each ingredient I cook with contains and how beneficial they are to my family’s health.
Making small transitions such as incorporating more nuts and fruit will take some time to get used to but I now fully intend on keeping them as part of our regular diet. I’ve always favored vegetables over anything else which isn’t a bad thing, but I’ve come to see that more food varieties need to be implemented in our daily lives. It doesn’t have to be complicated, an arugula salad like this one takes no time to make and contains nuts and fruit (dried). The combination of salty blue cheese, crunchy nuts, sweet cranberries and peppery arugula hits many flavor profiles all at once.
The dressing I make is also very simple: a mix of extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, red wine vinegar and dijon mustard. This adds tanginess to the salad, cutting through the heaviness of the blue cheese and brightening up the flavors. It’s a beautiful and colorful salad to make for yourself or as part of a family dinner. I love every part of it!
Arugula Salad with Walnuts, Blue Cheese and Cranberries
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- 1/4 cup walnuts (chopped bite size)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese (crumbled)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 cups arugula
- For the dressing :
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Put all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and mix well until the mixture has emulsified.
- Put the arugula in a mixing bowl and pour the dressing down the side of the bowl. Gently toss.
- Divide arugula into two separate plate and top with remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 293
- Saturated Fat: 6