There are plenty of salad recipes out there but how many can say they’re spicy, tart and fruity? This strawberry grapefruit salad is all of the above and makes me feel like it’s summer!
I’m a big lover of ruby red grapefruit: I love it for breakfast with a little sugar, love it with fish and thai chilies, love it as a dessert (have you ever tried Japanese grapefruit jelly? It’s absolutely delicious!) and could drink gallons of it. I love the tartness, the gorgeous pink color and how cleansing it feels.
Also perfect for vegetarians and vegans, this strawberry grapefruit salad is served with a ginger lime dressing to make it super zingy, salty and puckery tart! The strawberries are the sweet elements in this salad and really work well with all the other ingredients. I was going to add goat cheese or feta to this but chose to keep it as clean as possible. But you should try it if you want a little more weight in your strawberry grapefruit salad!
Since the flavors of this salad are so prominent, I recommend serving it with dishes milder in flavor. A nice steamed fish, pasta carbonara, some gorgeous corn on the cob, or anything that’s not super salty and acidic. This is one low-fat and healthy salad recipe that’s the opposite of blah and boring!
Strawberry grapefruit salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Salad, Appetizer
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 jalapeno (finely sliced)
- 10 strawberries (quartered)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 large pink grapefruit (segmented (reserve juice in a cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice (from the grapefruit)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bag pre-washed mixed greens
- Segment the grapefruit and reserve the extra juice by squeezing the membrane. You can click on the following link for detailed pictures on how to segment a grapefruit.
- Make the dressing by mixing grapefruit juice, lime juice, honey, extra-virgin olive oil and salt. Stir until oil and juices have emulsified.
- On each plate (or bowl) make a bed with the mixed greens and add strawberries, grapefruit, and jalapenos. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and pour dressing. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- Calories: 273
- Saturated Fat: 2