This is a quick and easy recipe for Nikujaka, a traditional Japanese dish made with beef, carrots, onions and potatoes, stewed in a mix of soy sauce, a dash of sugar, mirin and sake.
Nikujaga – Japanese beef stew
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (roughtly chopped)
- 1/2 pound beef (finely slice)
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups dashi stock
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- In a large pot over high heat, add oil and onions. Cook until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add beef and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add potatoes and carrots and cook for another 3 minutes. Add sake, dashi stock, soy sauce, sugar and mirin, and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender). Serve with a side of Japanese rice
- Serve with a side of Japanese rice
You can adjust the flavor by adding a little more sugar or soy sauce depending on your preference (if you like sweeter or saltier).
- Calories: 377
- Saturated Fat: 3