Japanese fried chicken – Tori no kara age
Japanese fried chicken
Makes about 10 nuggets
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Poultry
- 1 thumb size ginger (peeled and grated)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs with skin (cut bite size)
- 1/2 cup potato starch or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder ((optional))
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- lemon wedges
- Combine grated ginger, soy sauce and sake in a bowl. Add chicken and toss well to coat. Marinate for at least an hour (no longer than 4 hours otherwise the chicken may lose moisture because of the salt in the soy sauce).
- In a medium size bowl, mix the potato starch, salt and chili powder. Heat the oil to 350 degrees using a temperature-controlled fryer or a thermometer. If you don’t have one, test with a small piece of chicken. Coat each piece very well, shake off excess and fry in batches (don’t put too many at once as doing so lowers the temperature of the oil). Cook for a few minutes, until golden brown.
- Lay chicken on paper towel and serve with lemon wedges, yuzusco or shichimi.