Chunky Vegetable Soup
I must say I am a little obsessed with meeting my daily requirement for vegetables. I find it extremely important to try to get all my daily veggies as often as possible because I care about my body and know that no amount of vitamin caplets will give me the kind of health power vegetables can. A good quick way to get there is to make soups. I love soup. I make a big pot of soup once or twice a week because it’s easy to make and to have as a healthy snack late in the evening.
Let’s face it, it’s easy to stay slim if you’re in your 20s or younger, but cross over the 30s threshold and it’s a brand new situation. I find creative ways to snack at night since it’s something I’ve always done and don’t want to give up. I love snacking while watching my favorite TV shows, and a chunky vegetable soup that’s completely guilt free will do just fine. This vegetable soup is also a great lunch idea if you’re on a diet as it’s filling and very satisfying.Print
Chunky Vegetable Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium carrots (roughly chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 turnips (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 head cabbage (roughly chopped)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- dried herbs like basil oregano and/or parsley
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot over high heat, add oil, garlic, dried thyme and onions. Cook for 4-6 minutes until onions softens and become clear. Add the crushed tomatoes and stir. Add everything else; carrots, celery, turnips, cabbage, vegetable broth and dried herbs. Season with a little salt and bring to boil.
- Bring to boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through. Check on your soup once in a while and stir to make sure veggies aren’t burning at the bottom of the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This chunky vegetable soup can also be served with fresh chopped parsley and crackers.