Roasted Asparagus, Tomatoes and Egg Salad
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Roasted Asparagus, Tomatoes & Egg Salad
Roasting is one of my favorite ways to serve vegetables because there’s little preparation needed. The process also intensifies the natural flavor of vegetables, making them sweeter with a kick of smokiness. It’s very little work that yields great results! This recipe is similar from one I saw in Yotam Ottolenghi’s cookbook, Plenty, though it has a few more ingredients and some sherry vinegar, for a zestier effect.
The eggs are boiled, peeled and mashed like you would if you were making egg salad, except without mayonnaise and mustard. This was the first time I served eggs this way with asparagus, as I usually prefer them poached or in a creamy Hollandaise sauce. It was delicious nonetheless and with the addition of roasted tomatoes and sherry vinegar, rounded up the flavors of the dish very nicely. It’s a wonderful salad that screams summer and outdoor barbecues because of its sharp, clean and refreshing properties.
I like serving this asparagus and egg salad with a nice big steak, or for a healthier choice, a simple sushi rice egg drop soup and some yummy strawberries with coulis for dessert. Ooh and a nice cold glass of white wine too, mmm..
You can make this recipe in advance and refrigerate the ingredients separately until ready to be served. I ended up with extra mashed eggs and ate it with crackers and cheese. That’s another cool things about this salad; each ingredient is just as yummy on its own!Print
Asparagus Egg Salad
A light and refreshing salad of baked asparagus and tomatoes, served with eggs and parmesan.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan
- 20 stalks asparagus (ends trimmed)
- 15 grape tomatoes
- 2 large eggs (boiled and peeled)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon scallion (thinly sliced into strips (optional))
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- On a cooking tray, lay aluminum and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add asparagus and tomatoes. Bake asparagus in the oven for 15 minutes and take out and let cool to room temperature.
- Cook the tomatoes for an additional 8 minutes and take out. You can peel the skin or leave it on, it’s a textural preference. Let cool to room temperature.
- Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork until granular. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Assemble the salad starting with a layer of asparagus. Top with a few tomatoes and add more asparagus. Repeat until all are used. Top with eggs, shaved parmesan, capers and scallions.
- Whisk olive oil with sherry vinegar and a little salt and pepper in a bowl and drizzle on top of the salad. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 412
- Saturated Fat: 4
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.