Roasting is one of my favorite ways to serve vegetables because there’s little preparation needed. The process also intensifies the natural flavor of vegetables, making them sweeter with a kick of smokiness. It’s very little work that yields great results!
The eggs are boiled, peeled and mashed like you would if you were making egg salad, except without mayonnaise and mustard. This was the first time I served eggs this way with asparagus, as I usually prefer them poached or in a creamy Hollandaise sauce.
It was delicious nonetheless and with the addition of roasted tomatoes and sherry vinegar, rounded up the flavors of the dish very nicely. It’s a wonderful salad that screams summer and outdoor barbecues because of its sharp, clean and refreshing properties.
You can make this recipe in advance and refrigerate the ingredients separately until ready to be served. I ended up with extra mashed eggs and ate it with crackers and cheese. That’s another cool things about this salad; each ingredient is just as yummy on its own!Print
A light and refreshing salad of baked asparagus and tomatoes, served with eggs and parmesan.
- 20 stalks asparagus, ends trimmed
- 15 grape tomatoes
- 2 large eggs, boiled and peeled
- 2 tablespoons capers
- shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon scallion, thinly sliced into strips (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- On a cooking tray, lay aluminum and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add asparagus and tomatoes. Bake asparagus in the oven for 15 minutes and take out and let cool to room temperature.
- Cook the tomatoes for an additional 8 minutes and take out. You can peel the skin or leave it on, it’s a textural preference. Let cool to room temperature.
- Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork until granular. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Assemble the salad starting with a layer of asparagus. Top with a few tomatoes and add more asparagus. Repeat until all are used. Top with eggs, shaved parmesan, capers and scallions.
- Whisk olive oil with sherry vinegar and a little salt and pepper in a bowl and drizzle on top of the salad. Serve immediately.
Save this salad on a plate, covered with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 6.7g
- Sodium: 283mg
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 11.2g
- Cholesterol: 186mg
Keywords: asparagus egg salad