Japanese Curry Recipe
This Japanese Curry Recipe is a little spicy & sweet, with a thick gravy-like sauce that’s silky and delicious! Everyone including your kids will ask for seconds!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Curry
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound stewing beef
- 1 large onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (peeled and minced)
- 1 apple (peeled, cored and minced)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large carrots (peeled and roughly chopped on the bias)
- 1 large potato (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 1//2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and stewing beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until meat is cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium low and in the same pot, add remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil with onions and cook for about 10 minutes, until onions are translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Add garlic, ginger and apple and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add carrots, potatoes, garam masala and curry powder and stir well.
- Add tomato paste, stir well and slowly add red wine and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar, soy sauce and water, stir and bring to a boil again.
- Add beef and lower heat to a simmering boil. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Take the lid off and cook for another 30 minutes or until curry soup has reduced by a third.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.
This Japanese Curry Recipe will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Keywords: recipe, main, Asian, stew, beef, easy