- In a large pot over medium high heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent and becoming soft.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1½ hours, stirring every 25 minutes or so, until peas are tender.
- Stir and adjust the consistency by adding ½ cup water at a time, until desired consistency is reached. I usually add between 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups.
- Pull bay leaves out, season well with salt and pepper and serve.
Slow Cooker Directions
Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, stir well and slow cook on low for 6-8 hours.