Make the bibimbap sauce and set aside.
- Drain tofu and leave on a plate for 10 minutes. Drain again and slice into 2-inch piece cubes. Dust with cornstarch making sure all side are covered and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add 3 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add tofu and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Turn the heat off, transfer tofu to paper towel and set aside.
Carrots and shiitake mushrooms
- In a medium pan over medium high heat, add vegetable oil, carrots and a sprinkle of salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes until tender but still yielding a crunch. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add shiitake mushrooms to the same pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
Spinach and bean sprouts
- Bring a medium size pot of water with 1 tablespoon salt to boil.
- Add spinach and cook for 1 minute. Drain and rinse spinach under cold water until the spinach is cold.
- Gentle squeeze the spinach to remove excess water.
- Put the spinach in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon scallions, 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, a sprinkle of salt, and toss the spinach (I use chopsticks) until it’s evenly coated.
- Repeat the same steps for the beans sprouts.
- Divide the rice among 2 serving bowls.
- Place the eggs in the center of each bowl and arrange the vegetables around it.
- Serve with bibimbap sauce on the side.