Tofu Edamame Cakes
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 tofu cakes 1x
- Category: Main, Tofu
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 6 ounces box firm tofu
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice ham (finely chopped)
- 1 slice processed cheese (finely chopped)
- 25 edamame beans (shelled and cooked)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- frying oil
- tonkatsu sauce
- Wrap tofu in paper towel to remove excess water. Repeat the same process 3 to 4 times.
- Finely chop cheese and ham.
- In a mixing bowl, break the tofu using your fingers and add the egg. Season with salt and pepper and mix well until mixture looks like scrambled eggs.
- Add 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Add edamame, cheese, ham and mix well.
- Scoop up mixture and make patties small patties. Sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs and shape again. Sprinkle more breadcrumbs (until the patty clumps without breaking up) and shape one last time.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, put about 1 cm of oil.
- When the oil is hot add patties to the pan and fry both sides until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil and put on a plate.
- Top with tonkotsu sauce and/or mayonnaise.