Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu
This sweet and sour tofu recipe is a quick and tasy dinner option that’s much better than takeout – and is ready in just 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 people
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Stir frying
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 14 ounces medium firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper (cored and chopped into bite size pieces)
- 1 green bell pepper (cored and chopped into bite size pieces)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- cornstarch for dusting
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- Whisk all the ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce (until sugar has dissolved) in a bowl and set aside.
- Drain tofu and wrap in paper towel or tea towel to remove excess water. Repeat 3 to 4 times until the tofu is drier. Slice tofu into 1 inch cubes.
- Dust tofu with potato starch until all sides are well coated.
- In a large pan over high heat, add oil and tofu and fry until all sides are slightly golden (about 7 minutes). Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Add red and green bell pepper to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, until peppers have softened but still yield a crunch.
- Return tofu to the pan, add sauce and stir until tofu and bell peppers are coated.
- Turn the heat off, transfer to a plate and serve.
This Vegan Sweet And Sour Tofu Recipe will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Cornstarch is what gives Chinese dishes that gooey texture. It can also be used to add crispiness to tofu, meats and vegetables when they are lightly fried.
Keywords: recipe, Asian, tofu, vegetarian, plant based, meatless