Mabodon – Tofu and Ground Pork in Spicy Sauce
A sweet and spicy mabodon recipe for rice bowl lovers!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 thumb size ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 1/4 red bell pepper (cored and finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 14 ounce box silken tofu (drained and wrapped in paper towel)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
- 4 scallions (finely chopped)
- cooked Japanese rice
- In a pan over high heat, add vegetable oil, ground pork, garlic, ginger and gochujang. Break apart ground meat and cook for 3 minutes, or until pork is cooked through.
- Add bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add soy, sake, chicken stock, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add tofu and break it using spatula or wooden spoon.
- Add cornstarch and water mix and stir well until the consistency of the mabo tofu thickens.
- Turn the heat off and serve topped with scallions and Japanese rice.
- Calories: 368
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 671
- Fat: 23
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 27
- Cholesterol: 28
Keywords: recipe, rice bowl