Kani Salad – カニ サラダ
This is a light and creamy Japanese crab salad that can be served as a side or a snack. Ready in just 10 minutes!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 1/2 English cucumber (sliced thin, using a mandolin on its thinnest setting)
- 3 ounces imitation crab (finely chopped lengthwise)
- 2 tablespoons shallot (minced)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Spicy Kani Salad:
- Use all the ingredients from above plus 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce or more.
- Take cucumber slices in the palm of your hands and squeeze out as much water as you can – be careful not to break the slices.
- Put cucumber, imitation crab and shallot in a bowl and briefly toss.
- In a separate bowl, whisk mayonnaise, cider vinegar, soy sauce and black pepper, until smooth. Add sriracha sauce at this point if you are making the spicy version.
- Add mayo dressing to the cucumber, crab and shallot mix and stir well, until all the ingredients are evenly coated. Serve.
This Kani Salad will keep refrigerated for up to 2 days.
I find Japanese mandolins to be easier and safer to use as they are easier to handle for smaller hands.
Keywords: recipe, appetizer, side, snack, easy