Japanese Fried Rice (Yakimeshi)
This traditional Japanese fried rice ready to serve in less than 20 minutes.
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Rice
- Method: Sauteeing
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small leek or onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small carrot (finely chopped)
- 300 grams cooked Japanese rice
- 1 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 2 large eggs (whisked)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and ground white pepper (to taste)
- In a wok or large pan over medium high heat, add oil and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add onions and carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables are soft but still yielding a crunch.
- Add cooked rice and lettuce and stir until the ingredients are mixed in with the rice.
- Push rice to one side and add eggs. Continuously stir and break the eggs with your spatula until they’re almost fully cooked.
- Mix the eggs with the fried rice and add soy sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir until the sauce and seasonings are evenly spread through the fried rice.
- Turn the heat off and serve.
This Japanese fried rice will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Keywords: recipe, side, vegetables