Chinese Lotus Root Salad
A healthy, bright and cleansing Chinese Lotus Salad that is vegan and gluten free!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: serves 2-4 1x
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Stir Fried / Simmered
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces lotus root, peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup water
- 1½ tablespoon plain rice vinegar
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- More kosher salt, to taste
- In a wok or deep skillet (that you have a lid for) over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil, lotus root, salt and ½ teaspoon sugar and cook for 5 minutes, until lotus root has begun to soften.
- Add water, stir and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes – until the lotus root is tender but still yielding a crunch.
- Drain and transfer lotus root to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon of sugar, plain rice vinegar, chopped scallions and sesame seeds. Add more salt if needed. Toss well and serve.
You can keep leftovers of this Chinese salad covered in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, salad, healthy, gluten free