Char Siu Style Roasted Eggplant
This baked and caramelized Char Siu Style Roasted Eggplant Recipe has the deep sweet and savory flavors of Chinese roasted pork, but just happens to be super healthy!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 pound large eggplant (sliced into ½-inch pieces)
- 2 stalk scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade.
- Place eggplant slices in marinade and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400, and place eggplant slices on a baking sheet covered in non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Roast eggplant for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender.
- Top with sliced scallions and serve immediately.
Char Siu Eggplant will keep in the fridge for 1-2 days, but is best when eaten immediately after cooking. If making this dish completely vegan, use mushroom based vegetarian oyster sauce.
Keywords: recipe, vegetarian, appetizer